[mythtv-users] Anyone using LVM2 w/ ext3 for video storage

Devan Lippman devan.lippman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 17:41:19 UTC 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 8:39 AM, PAUL WILLIAMSON <pwilliamson at mandtbank.com> wrote:
> > Hey Devan,
> >
> > i recently set up LVM and screwed it up twice. :)  it wasn't too
> > difficult to start over after figuring out how to delete the
> > partitions/volumes i had created.  a good guide is here:
> > http://knoppmythwiki.homelinux.org/index.php?page=LvmHowTo
> > i used XFS instead of ext3.  both XFS and JFS are optimized for
> > large file sizes, such as video, so they are probably a better choice
>
> > that ext3.  they are much more reliable now than they were a
> > year or so ago.
>
> Related to this, I just picked up a new mobo last night with a
> 250gb sata drive.  The mobo has hardware raid (promise) and
> based on some of the posts to this list, this is not the
> best raid controller.  But, having said that, can I set
> this up and then add other drives to the Raid array
> and LVM later?  I know having a 1 drive RAID
> array does absolutely nothing, but having LVM
> set up with only one drive allows me to add drives
> to this without having to erase all the data on that
> drive when I want to do LVM...I already did that
> dance once...
>
> Is having a hardware RAID and LVM overkill?
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

One problem, you can't make RAID volumes with just one disk, the
minimum is two.  Also you can't add disks to Promise RAID array's
Logical volumes later.  If all you have is one disk you're better off
not using RAID anyways as it may slow down disk data rates.
The rest sounds like a great idea, can't wait until I figure out what
I did wrong with mine.

--
Thanks,
Devan Lippman <devan at lippman.net>