[mythtv-users] Anyone using LVM2 w/ ext3 for video storage

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 20:28:53 UTC 2005

> Lots of other people responded, but I need to add my 2 cents.  There
> is nothing unreliable about LVM.  I've used it on many production
> servers, many people use it for their MythTV system.  You just don't
> have it configured correctly.  Have you read the LVM HOWTO?  It's very
> useful and easy to find on google, it may be included with your LVM
> install.

That part about LVM that I'm curious about (and anyone who knows this,
feel free to chime in) is what happens when you want to remove / move
a drive?

If I accidently put the drives back in my system in the wrong place
(for example, hdb and hdg get swapped), does LVM know which partition
goes where? is there a way to tell it which drives should be in the
volume group if they change without having to re-create the whole
thing? (obviously if I remove a drive with data on it, it will mess
up, but if I swap around a few of them or put them at different device
labels, can LVM be trained about the change?)

I really like the idea of LVM, and I especially like having a single
partition made up of three 160 gig drives - but I'm worried about what
might happen if any of those three drives needed to be moved, removed,
etc. Do I automatically lose all my data?

 - Jeff