[mythtv-users] Satelite service recommendation for use w/ MythTV

Griffon -- bushibot at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 04:28:06 UTC 2005

Voom is effectively dead, so no joy there. Though there are many
strange maneuver's going around it and the satellites.
http://www.techdirt.com/search.pl?query=voom

DirectTV is ok in the north CA area, but he HD situation is
frustrating. Basically your choices are, only have OTA and combine it
with D*TV, buy a HD Tivo and then maybe mod it or switch back and
fourth. I have the HD Tivo and then on my myth back end I have a
regular RCA box so we flip back and fourth mainly using Myth as a
Video/DVD/Music player and most HD or live TV is watched on the Tivo
(though myth works fine for the non HD stuff). It's something less
then ideal. I have never quite gotten why there are no after market
capture decoder cards for D*TV that would let a comp work just like
the HD Tivo box since it's mainly just doing a raw write for the
unscrambled content. Probable something to with lawyers though :p
though tying the card to the MAC or however it works. Still seems like
somthing should be out there slipping in from offshore.
Is anyone actually able to capture HD content via fire wire either via
modded box for over comcast? I havn't noticed many posts about that
working, only not working.