[mythtv-users] Nova-T vs V-Stream XPert?

Andrew Herron andrew.herron at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 02:26:00 UTC 2005

Hi Everyone,

I'm in Brisbane, Australia and about to set up a MythTV box.  After
reading a few of the old threads on tv tuner cards my decision has
come down to the KWorld V-Stream XPert or the Hauppage Nova-T.  The
Nova-T is A$120 more at Aus PC Market, so I was wondering if someone
could detail the differences between them.  I don't mind paying more
but at almost double the price there has to be a good reason for it
:)

So far I've been able to pick up that the KWorld card is
multi-function with some analog inputs and what appears to be RF
pass-through - which makes me wonder all the more why it's so much
cheaper than the single-input Hauppage.  The Aus PC Market site claims
it only supports SDTV recording, not HDTV; that may explain it but
does MythTV suffer the same restrictions when using this card?

And on an unrelated note what is the general recommendation for linux
distros to use for MythTV?  I've been running Debian on my firewall
for 4 years now, but I've heard good things about Fedora Core for
running a PVR.

Cheers,
Andy