[mythtv-users] Transcoding shows for Sony PSP

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 01:11:48 UTC 2005

On Apr 3, 2005 7:21 PM, Ian Forde <ian at duckland.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 11:59 -1000, James L. Paul wrote:
> > I'm currently using a clumsy process for watching TV shows on my Sony
> > PSP that were recorded by my MythTV box. Basically, I'm copying the .nuv
> > file to a renamed .mpg file in a network-visible directory. A windows
> > application named PSP Video 9 watches that directory and automatically
> > transcodes and transfers the video files to the PSP device. I can then
> > watch selected TV programs on my PSP.
> >
> > PSP Video 9 is a windows wrapper for FFMPEG, using the MobileHackers
> > binary, which is hacked to be able to produce PSP compliant MP4 files.
> > It should be possible to build this version on Linux, but I haven't
> > tried that yet.
> >
> > I plan to look into directly transcoding to PSP entirely within MythTV,
> > but haven't been keeping up with Myth lately. I haven't updated my box
> > in months. I just wanted to toss this subject in the open since I didn't
> > find a single reference to the PSP in the archives and wonder if anybody
> > else is looking to do something similar.
>
> Well, you'd probably want to add it to nuvexport then...
>
>         -I

Hi.

I've got this working with ffmpeg under linux.  here is a link to my
blog where I posted the steps, and the ffmpeg command:

http://tube013.org/blogs/thoughts.php?title=sony_psp_video_conversion_in_linux

I have links to some ffmpeg deb's for ubuntu there as well.

You need a pretty recent ffmpeg cvs build for the -f psp to work (note
that around the end of march some of the cvs snapshots were broken as
far as -f psp was concerned).

Also you need to compile ffmpeg with faac support so it can encode the
aac audio track the psp needs.

here are my configure options for ffmpeg:

byron at harryhood ~ $ ffmpeg
ffmpeg version 0.4.9-pre1, build 4744, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
  configuration:  --build i386-linux --enable-gpl --enable-vhook
--enable-pthreads --enable-pp --enable-zlib --enable-vorbis
--enable-a52 --enable-dts --disable-debug --disable-mmx
--enable-dc1394 --enable-xvid --enable-faac --enable-faad
--enable-vorbis --enable-ogg --enable-mp3lame --prefix=/usr
  built on Mar 29 2005 11:43:17, gcc: 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-8ubuntu2)

hope that helps some.