[mythtv-users] Optimizing MythTV for AMD64

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Mon Apr 4 04:53:46 UTC 2005

On Sunday 03 April 2005 11:40 pm, Brad Templeton wrote:

> > > CBS and ABC are generally 1080i; FOX is generally 720p; I'm not sure
> > > about NBC.
> >
> > In Seattle, NBC and CBS are 1080i, FOX and ABC are both 720p.
>
> And UPN and WB are 1080i, as is I think Discovery HD and HDNet and
> others, I think this pattern is universal.
>
> Right now I think 720p is the wisest choice because very few people have
> TVs with 1080 real lines on them, so why interlace?   Over time of
> course I hope to see the world move to 1080p, which you don't see at
> all yet.  In fact, most HDTVs won't take it, which I think is silly,
> since our computer monitors have had cheap electronics to display
> 1600x1200px85hz for a decade now, as one example.

I would think a larger portion of HD TVs are 1080i native.  The older
generation of Rear Projection analog TVs were almost all 1080i native.
Mine can do both, but 720p is up/down (however you view it) scaled to 1080i.
Given these tvs have been on the market for many years, I'd think they
may still outnumber the new plasma and DLP tvs.