[mythtv-users] remote *receiver* ?

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 4 15:51:07 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 10:25:30PM -0500, PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:
> > I feel like I'm being really dense or something. The only other
> > thing I can think of is that people just buy some cheap wireless
> > keyboard and configure a remote to send signals to the keyboard's
> > IR receiver.
>
> Yep.  Do this on all my frontend only machines now.  Awesome as I've
> eliminated the need for lirc and have full functionality.

That would be "full myth/xine/mplayer" functionality, right? Doesn't
this wireless-keyboard approach eliminate possibility of binding
remote control keys for activity unrelated to the application holding
focus (unless you can bind them to keys first processed by the window
manager before your application sees them)?

Is this pros/cons summary correct?

	- Wireless keyboard receiver. The advantage is no extra
	  configuration required beyond that of remote control; the
	  frontend thinks it's a normal keyboard. The disadvantage is
	  that you are confined to whatever application has focus at
	  the moment (mythfrontend, xine, etc.). This means you can't
	  program non-myth/xine stuff to happen, unless you can bind
	  keys that get processed by your window manager before
	  mythfrontend/xine/whatever see them.

	- LIRC. Requires more software installation/configuration
	  (LIRC) and a serial port, but I imagine is more flexible
	  because LIRC sees the remote control commands before any
	  other applications see them?

Thanks,
--Rob