[mythtv-users] 1.6b XBox (Xebian Myth0.17) won't playback recordings

Greg Mitchell greg at nodecam.com
Mon Apr 4 16:50:10 UTC 2005

After seeing some people have success with using the 1.6 XBoxes as
frontends, I took the plunge and picked one up.

After a disasterous attempted soft-mod (note to self, 3AM is not the
correct time to be answering questions such as "do you want to format
your hard drive?") I got a chip installed, and everything seems to be
going ok.

The xebian install disc hung right after boot with a little bit of text
and a single green pixel.  Being a Gentoo bigot, I tried Gentoox, but
compiling stuff on the xbox was just to painful for me to deal with.
Anyway, after seeing a tip about using xromwell.xbe to launch the Xebian
disc, I managed to get Xebian installed.

I added the sarge/myth stuff to the sources file, and did an
apt-get update
apt-get install mythtv-frontend.

Everything went well, I had to set the window sizes manually in the
mythfrontend (I used something like 590x435 with 25 offsets and 5%
overscan) and with a little monkeying I got the remote working too.

Only problem is that I can't view recordings.  When I go to the screen
with a live preview, it goest to a black screen, then the console, then
the grey default X screen, then boots me back to the recordings screen.
  If I shut off live previews, I can then pick a recording and start it,
which results in the same sequence of black screen, console, grey
screen, back to previous screen.

The console has a message like "agpgart: Unsupported NVidia chipset
(device id: XXXX), you might want to try agp_try_unsupported=1"   Google
didn't have any advice :/

Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?  Or does 1.6b just not
work, and I misread some other posters?

For the time being, I'm using the XBMC MythTV scripts to watch stuff,
but it's not as nice as using a real full frontend...

Thanks in advance.

Greg