[mythtv-users] Optimizing MythTV for AMD64

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. gtgj at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 4 21:01:06 UTC 2005

>>>>> Brian Foddy writes:

b> Mine is a Hitachi 43" (forget the model number).  I thought, they were
b> simple 3 color light beams but reflected upward from the back instead of
b> the old front projection units.  They have a weak plastic screen, not
b> a vacume sealed glass direct electron beam tube like standard tv/crts.
b> They certainly don't have the weight or shape of a crt screen.  When I
b> bought mine, the tube HD TVs stopped about 36" and were much heavier
b> than mine.

        I think your TV is a CRT-based RPTV.  The sources of those
three "light beams" are three small CRTs.

b> If I'm misunderstanding my unit, I stand corrected; but this is what
b> I meant by rear projection units; and they still account for a
b> good portion of HD TVs sales.  They are generally < $2000 and provide
b> decent pictures for the price.   They are still analog, not digital like
b> plasma/DLP/LCDs; but HD never-the-less.  Mine can take an input of 480p,
b> 720p, or 1080i.  But I think its native mode is 1080i.

        According to this article, CRT-based RPTVs still outsell
microdisplay RPTVs by about a 2:1 margin but that probably includes
non-HDTV units.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/consumer/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=159906122
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.