[mythtv-users] sound problems with alsa drivers

Michael Murray mimurra3 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 00:10:46 UTC 2005

No matter what I try I seem to be stumped by the audio setup for the
alsa drivers.  I am not new to Linux although I do not have much
experience with driver configuration or audio in general.  This is all
being done on Fedora Core 3 with a PVR-350 capture card.

My original attempts to get sound failed.  I suspect this is because
the onboard sound card was not supported by the alsa drivers.  I
bought and installed a Sound Blaster Live! card.  Linux seems to
recognize this card.  Although, running the 'Sound Card Detection'
program shows both the onboard card and the new Sound Blaster.  The
Sound Blaster is set as the primary device.  I also set the audio in
mythfrontend to ALSA:default from /dev/dsp.

I have set up modprobe.conf and the .asoundrc file as instructed at
the wilsonet.com site.  Here are the problems:

Using aplay to play any sound file returns "aplay: set_params:862:
Channels count non available"

Any attempt to change mixer settings with something like "$ amixer set
Master,0 100%,100% unmute" returns "amixer: Unable to find simple
control 'Master',0"

Viewing the mixer graphically with the alsamixer programs just shows empty bars.

Finally, when starting up the tv viewing in myth frontend I get an
error saying "Rate doesn't match (requested 0Hz, got 48000Hz)"
Obviously, there is no audio.

I'm pretty much at my wits end here.  I apologize for the length of
this message but I wanted to try and cover all my bases.

Do I need to somehow disable the onboard sound card and will that
solve the problems?  Any help somebody could provide would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Mike