[mythtv-users] Optimizing MythTV for AMD64

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue Apr 5 02:51:22 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 04:41:34PM -0500, Brian Foddy wrote:
> Ok, I've never heard them called CRT based units.  They certainly aren't
> direct tube units I mentioned.  Anyway, they've been around for several
> years and while the newer plasma/dlp/lcd screens are gaining, this link
> says they have some catching up to do.
>
> Thanks for the clarification...
> Brian

The distinction (which I thought I had made) was between what are called
"Direct view" CRTs (which look like normal TV sets) and rear projection CRTs,
as well as rear and front projection microdisplays (lcd, dlp, lcos).

The rear projection crts feature typically three 7" or 9" CRTs.   What I
am curious about is, how sharp are they at resolving 1080 lines, or do they
do it at all.

Many vendors put very confusing specs on their systems.  They say that a
TV is "native" 1080 lines because they convert all incoming signals to 1080i
for example, and then sometimes reconvert to what I am forced to call the
"true native" resolution.

So for example if you set up your TV as a computer display at 1920x1080, and get
up close, how sharp do the individual pixels look?   Particularly if you put
up a test pattern with alternating lines or checkerboard?