[mythtv-users] HD-3000: when scanning for channels, couldn't probe inputs...

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Tue Apr 5 11:28:11 UTC 2005

Brian McCrary wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Like many others, I'm trying to get a HD-3000 card to work with MythTV.
> I'm using MythTV v0.17 (debian package), pcHDTV 2.0 drivers, 2.6.11.4
> kernel, and Debian 3.1.  When I go into mythtv-setup, I can setup the
> card as a DVB and the card type comes back as "Success" but the card
> name says "Could not get card info for card #0!"

Is /dev/dvb/* present?  If not, your DVB modules are not loaded
properly.  Are the permissions proper so your Myth user can read/write
the DVB devices?

I had initially skipped the install of pcHDTV's headers into
/usr/include/linux/dvb (see the pCHTV-2.0 Makefile), but MythTV could
not successfully see the card using DVB until I did so.  Try a 'locate
frontend.h' and see if there are other DVB headers being picked up by
the Myth build; also make sure your build is from scratch.

> When I try to scan for channels, I get the message "Failed to probe the
> card" and on the console get "Couldn't open /dev/video32 to probe its
> inputs".  Here's the modules, log output, and device driver entries I
> have.  Anyone care to tell me what step I'm missing?

With V4L, I have read that the pcHDTV-2.0 drivers no longer want to
start at minor number 32, and instead the device is present at
/dev/video0; MythTV is looking for devices starting at 32.  You might
try making /dev/video0 (major 81, minor 0) and symlinking it to video32.
 Or back off to the pcHDTV-1.6 drivers.

-Doug