[mythtv-users] Re: help with install & Dvico Lite

Chris Henderson jchendo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 13:36:22 UTC 2005

On Mar 22, 2005 2:12 PM, Chris Henderson <jchendo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could someone please email me off list to help me work though the
> setup of the mythtv box.
>
> p3 1gig
> 512 ram
> 20 gb & 80 gb hdd
> SB Live (this is not correctly found  by kudzu)
> Dvico fusion lite HDTV card.
> mx 440 video card (monitor ATM, TV once working)
> Location: Melbourne Aust.
>
> I have tried to run though Jarrod's guide with no luck. then i tried
> Jani Talikka' s guide for the plus version of the card, again with no
> luck.
>
> I tried to email jani directly politely asking for help but no answer.
> I know that it is bad form for you to do that but the WAF is almost
> non existent as i cant get this going.
>
> I think i have to compile the kernel so that it supports DVB but i
> have not been able to find any howtos that explain how to do it. (the
> dvb side of things and options to pick.)
> googling for the errors that i receive is getting me more confused.
>
> I know that this setup is possible but i cannot seem to get it to work.
>
> I must say that i am very new at linux and coming from a windows world
> it hurts my brain.
>
> So as a last resort i am email this list in the hope that someone will
> take pity on me and email me off list to help me.
>
> Chris

Thank to the people that have replied off list to help me get this going.

But i have a couple of  problems that i though i would ask the list about.

(1) the 2.6.10.77.fc3 kernal supports dvb and with some help off list
i got the dvico card to work by manually starting some modules
dvb-core, bt878, dvb-bt8xx, bttv card=0x80. (thanks Jason) in that
order.
  it seemed to work the first time. then i screwed the system with a
format command (whoops was that hd1 or 2) time for a reinstall. the
second time i tried to put them in the rc.local. but the card would
not work. Again off to the list and with a lot of searching i found a
post about the same problem except for the module was the cx88 ( for
the conextant chipset of the plus version my card). Again (in Jarrod
comes charging in on his great white steed) comes Jarrod with a post
saying that he plugs it into line 157 or something of the rc.sysinit.
following the advise i removed that modprobe line from the rc.local
and placed it in the rc.sysinit. bang up it comes.
Excellent. (keep reading the questions are linked, i think)

(2) I too have been bitten by the latest QT bug, the buttons in the
setup don't seem to work, but after following good list practice a
used the search function and low and behold there is the answer
(thanks Jarrod for the ctrl-enter answer and the excellent guide.
Please keep up the great work.)

(2.1) this maybe related to the above problem i am not sure. But
mythtvsetup does not seem to save any of the settings that i select.
for example when i change the locations of the recordings to
/video/recordings (as per guide) and carry on. (still with the QT
issue. ctrl-enter to proceed) when i got to the selecting the card i
had some initial trouble (see q1) then i found the card and set what i
needed to. ctrl-enter. back to the list but there is no card. do it
again, ctrl-enter. no card. once more just for the slow (me) off to
the list.

Oh yea after i could not find anything related to this i started to
gather the info for this post and realised that mythtvsetup is not
saving anything. this seems to be a permissions issue to my MS$
trained brain. but could that be it? as it was install from the mythtv
user. and i tried to run setup in the terminal in both $ and #

SO is the QT issue related to the saving problem?
is the dvb card, that is now working not related?
and can anyone help me with the saving issue in setup.

thanks for your time.

Chris

(background)
p3 1gig asus mobo
512 ram
20 gb & 80 gb hdd
SB Live digital (this is not correctly found  by kudzu, should be emu10k1)
Dvico fusion lite HDTV card.
vanilla nvidia mx 440 video card (monitor ATM, TV once working)
Location: Melbourne Aust.
setup following Jarrod's guide until step 10ish due to HDTV card and being aust.
Setup in the mythtv user as per guide with su - when needed.

run setup out of mythtv user under $ then # same result.