[mythtv-users] FC3 Install has never worked

Colin Smillie csmillie at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 18:49:57 UTC 2005

On Apr 4, 2005 11:05 PM, Reggie Braswell <reggman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Problem 1:
> Once I install anything that deals with an alsa update from AT good
> bye S/PDIF. Noted earlier was working fine before ATrpms. (Doesn't
> matter aRts off or on, alsamixer kmix no matter what setting there is
> nothing) I can get sound from the PC speakers, but the digital out to
> my receiver goes away. I have read the alsa pages, customized
> .asoundrc – doesn't matter. ATrpms makes that connection go into never
> never land. The onboard chip on the motherboard for soundmax is
> intel8xo and from what I have read is an Analog devices piece.
> Problem? Yes Show stopper? No. Moving on

Can you post your modprobe.conf, .asoundrc and details on your alsa
update?  I'm using the Intel8x0 alsa module from ATrpms with the
Analog sound ( no S/PDIF ) interface without issue.  I actually the
same motherboard.

> Problem 2:
> When running a stock 770 kernel lirc works great with /usr/bin/irw.
> Upgrading to ATrpms lastest kernel it bombs. I get this in my
> /var/log/messages:
>
> Apr  4 12:57:03 localhost kernel: lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver
> registered, at major 61
> Apr  4 12:57:03 localhost kernel: bttv: Unknown symbol tveeprom_read
> Apr  4 12:57:03 localhost kernel: bttv: Unknown symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog
> Apr  4 12:57:03 localhost kernel: lirc_i2c: chip found @ 0x18 (Hauppauge IR)
> Apr  4 12:57:03 localhost kernel: ivtv: i2c attach [client=Hauppauge IR,ok]
> Apr  4 12:57:03 localhost kernel: lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin:sample_rate: 10
>
> As mentioned earlier if I was running a stock 770 kernel and ran
> /usr/bin/irw and started pressing keys on the remote I would see
> messages on the screen. Using the ATrpms latest 770 kernel I get no
> messages and that output in /var/log/messages. This was not seen using
> the 770 stock kernel:
> : Unknown symbol tveeprom_read
> : Unknown symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog
>
> Problem 3:
> X on the TV. The redhat in the lower left corner is almost not even
> seen and the date and time are completely gone. I read a blog where a
> guy had run some ivtvctl commands to adjust X on his TV and provided
> his settings for PAL. He said to tweak with them to get NTSC to line
> up right. I tried half a dozen hex combinations and moved X all over
> the place and at times turned X green and purple, but never quite got
> it dialed in where I felt it was totally usable. I used vnc and a
> laptop to get through some of the stuff, but always felt this wasn't
> quite right. I thought that perhaps using vnc may be causing some
> issues so I decided to work through setting up myth through the TV. (I
> have done this using a display attached to my video card as well and
> it never made a difference. I still never got myth going.) I used
> mkinitrd from Jarod and have the PVR-350 as the standard out. (I don't
> want a monitor in my den unless I am dealing with DVD home movies and
> winblows)

I have a PVR-350 and 250 but I'm using the nvidia tv-out capabilities.
 In the end I just found the tv-out from the 350 too unreliable to
justify the performance difference.

> Problem 4:
> mythtvsetup? Wtf? The next buttons don't work. The first question
> about clearing the cards config. I select yes and press the space bar.
> It acts like it should. Tab to next and press the spacebar and
> nothing. The only way I got to the next screen was alt-f4. That
> happened on the next screen as well. In the following screens I had to
> be in an area that can be changed and press the enter key to move to
> the next screen.

This a QT compatibility issue throughout mythtv currently.  You can
down grade your QT version to 3.3.3 from 3.3.4 or use ctrl-enter
instead of enter to navigate the menus.

> Thanks for any insight and I would be curious if anyone else out there
> is having this much trouble with a PVR-350 and FC3. I know everyone is
> going to say the problem lies between the floor and the keyboard : - )
>   (has been the case sometimes), but if anyone reading this has
> similar hardware and has seen these issues please HELP ME. I'm losing
> my mind. My hair is falling out (mostly by my pulling it out).

I've been very happy with my FC3 implementation.  I've sort of work
around alot of the more unstable aspects like the PVR-350 tv-out and
building my own kernels.

Colin