[mythtv-users] Controlling a Frontend from a Laptop

Poul Petersen petersp at mail.alleft.com
Tue Apr 5 20:33:24 UTC 2005

> What I would like to be able to do is control mythfrontend from my
> laptop.  This would be analogous to controlling the frontend from a
> wireless keyboard, but with my laptop I wouldn't have to worry about
> the 5 feet limitation of my keyboard since I'll be communicating with
> the frontend over 802.11b.
>
> Has anyone tried to do this before?  If not, any ideas on how this may
> be accomplished?

	I've done this in the past using "synergy" (I haven't tried
this since upgrading the majority of my Myth boxes to FC3, but it worked
great with a Windows laptop and RH9 server):

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/index.html

	When you've got this running, you basically mouse off the edge of your
laptop screen and any further keyboard/mouse input is directed to the
MythTV frontend. When you mouse back, the keyboard/mouse returns to the
laptop. Pretty slick. You can combine many computers (one for each edge
of your screen, or edges of those other screens).

-poul