[mythtv-users] Force manual Audio/Video DVB PID selection?

Rob Jones robj at fastmail.fm
Wed Apr 6 08:32:44 UTC 2005

Hi,

Short time lurker, first time poster :)

I recently set up my mythtv backend box running 0.17, and after a lot of
bad language aimed at the pc it's running quite happily now, with a pair
of Hauppauge Nova-T DVB cards.

>From what I've read, in 0.16 DVB channel entry was done manually by
setting PID values for each MPEG stream for each channel, whereas in
0.17 these values seem to be assigned dynamically by Myth looking in the
PMT table for each multiplex and trying to find streams with the right
stream type for each named channel.

This is all well and good, except that, there is now at least one
channel in the UK broadcasting, which does not list its video/audio
streams in the PMT table, and gives them the wrong stream type, so as to
force the viewer to access the channel through its interactive MHEG
interface, rather than allow the viewer to view the channel directly,
which is no good unless you are able to run the MHEG application.

It is possible to view the content outside of myth by manually entering
the valid tuning parameters, but Myth cannot, as its automatic PID
assignment routines will never pick up the right values.

Question is then, is there any way in 0.17 to force Myth not to do this,
but to accept manually assigned channels from eg. the
dvb_channel/dvb_pid sections of the mythconverg database as would have
happened in 0.16?, or is there currently any other way round this?

Thanks,

Rob