[mythtv-users] WinFast 2000 XP Capture Card & FC3

Jeremy DeStefano JDeStefano at ridgesupport.com
Wed Apr 6 11:04:13 UTC 2005

Thank you for the clarification.  I'll try these out and see if I can't get
this card to work.  Otherwise, I think I hear a 250 calling my name.

I'll post back with my results...

Jeremy DeStefano

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 16:23, Jeremy DeStefano wrote:
> I'm testing a machine with FC3 with the latest kernel with MythTV 0.17.  I
> put in the Hauppage WinTV Radio Card.  The card seems to be recognized by
> FC as a WinFast 2000 XP Card.  I know this needs the CX8800 drivers.
> According to the website for the CX drivers, they are included in the 2.6
> Kernel.
>
> I've added the
> Alias Char-Major-81-0 bttv
> Alias Char-Major-81 cx8800
>
> in the modprobe.conf as Jarod's HOWTO says

My doc does NOT say to add that. For a cx88 card, it should be:

alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 cx8800

You shouldn't be loading the bttv driver, that's for bttv cards.

> however, the card is not being
> assigned a /dev/videox.  Is there something I'm missing?

Yes.

> Do I need to
> recompile the Kernel with the CX drivers?

No. But you might want to:

# apt-get install cx88-kmdl-`uname -r`
# apt-get install cx88

> I know with IVTV, its the
> ivtv-fb command that actually sets up the /video0.

No it doesn't. With ivtv, 'modprobe ivtv' on FC3 triggers udev
creating /dev/video0.

> Is there a comparable
> command for the CX?

# modprobe cx8800

> Or is this card just not worth the time and effort?  It was a free card
for
> me to test with, so if it would be easier to go get a PVR-250 or
something,
> its not a problem.

PVR-250 is pretty much the gold standard of (a