[mythtv-users] Sleeping instead of shutting down?

Alan Hagge ahagge at wbfa.com
Wed Apr 6 18:44:26 UTC 2005

I was wondering if anyone has had any success with configuring MythTV to
do a suspend or standby (probably using apmsleep(1) or similar) rather
than a full halt/poweroff?  My (desktop) motherboard doesn't power off
the fans (bummer), but maybe newer ones do.  Basically, I want to have
the machine go into an extremely low-power mode when idle, but I don't
want the startup time of doing a full shutdown/restart when it's time to
record.

Mine is a combined frontend/backend, but I wouldn't think that should
matter.  The only serious glitch I see is that apmsleep doesn't appear
to take anything more than hh:mm as an argument (in other words, you may
not be able to sleep more than 99 hours, 59 minutes).  But I could be
wrong, haven't tested it yet...