[mythtv-users] LVM RAID 5 partition schemes

Schlomo Schapiro ivtv at schlomo.schapiro.org
Wed Apr 6 20:00:05 UTC 2005

Hi,

careful about temperature i regard to HDs ! I found out that e.g. Samsung
200G PATA disks consume only about 9w power whereas other (faster, bigger,
better) drives consume 15-20w, which results in a huge difference in
temperature output. I would recommend to use more low-power drives than
fewer high-power ones.

Just my 2c ...
Schlomo

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Jeff Simpson wrote:

> Are all those drives going to fit in that case??
>
> On Apr 6, 2005 2:32 PM, Milan Andric <mandric at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm planning on sqeezing as much as I can into a microATX case
> > to make my mythtv frontend/backend. I also want to make this
> > a media storage box/file server, ie. include a RAID 5 LVM storage setup.
> >
> > I'm basically stuck on the RAID.  Since I  do not have enough data
> > *right now* to use the 3 x 300G RAID 5,  I'd like to just buy two
> > drives now and use mdadmin to
> > setup a RAID 5 with 2 missing drives and add drives as time goes on.
> >
> > I know it's required to have 3 drives to make a RAID 5 array.  But is
> > there a way to fake so I can add a third drive later?  Or do I just
> > have to fork up the cash now?
> >
> > If you could post your partition scheme or how you setup
> > your partitions/drives it would help me.
> >
> > Has anyone tried to mix/match devices like ATA and SATA to create a raid 5 with
> > md? I know it's crazy but i'm just trying to consider the options for
> > the time being.
> >
> > Here's some of my proposed hardware setup (still in the works) :
> >
> > hauppauge 250
> >
> > Motherboard :
> > MSI K7N2GM2-LSR nForce2 K7 400 DDR400 VGA 8X LAN SATA-RAID MicroATX
> > http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.php/products_id/162
> >
> > HDs:
> > 3 x 300G SATA Maxtor Maxline III 16MB buffers
> > http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=2094
> >
> > Case:
> > Cooler Master ATC-620C-BX1 Cases microATX Form
> > http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-119-024&depa=0
> >
> > Since the MB only has two SATA ports (couldn't find one with 4 onboard
> > and better to have a card anyway incase i change MB's one day) on it
> > i'll probably end up needing a SATA card. like the Promise TX4 (4
> > Port) if i want a RAID 5 ...
> > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=16-102-038&depa=1
> >
> > Thanks for any help!
> > --