[mythtv-users] EIT vs Zap2it

cythrault at gmail.com cythrault at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 22:04:21 UTC 2005

On Mar 30, 2005 11:59 PM, Taylor Jacob <rtjacob at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Quoting cythrault at gmail.com:
>
> > So, I was ecstatic when EIT started working on my system, thanks to
> > the major DVB revamping of 0.17 and the numerous EIT and DVB patches
> > since.
>
> Thanks.. It took a good deal of my time and John and Jespers time as well..  :)

Well, it did show. I can't speak for other people but for my case, the
EIT is working magic. :)

> > Also, during my tests, I found that, even with "dvb on demand"
> > disabled, the EIT won't download. I have to tune to a channel when the
> > EPG is available.
>
> Simply re-tuning to a channel that has EIT should pick it up..

Indeed. Though, I meant to ask: What causes the EIT code to request
EPG for a channel? It's not the fact that no data is present in
program for it's chanid since I've tried emptying the program table at
run time and retune to a channel where the EIT is present and noting
shows up automagicaly.

I'm asking because some obscure channels will sometime get the data,
sometimes not. I was not able to get a trend...

> > The EIT won't be requested unless I start/stop the backend.
> > All of this is probably by design tho. I just want to confirm.
>
> As of now there is no "crawling" around for EIT, so you still have to tune to a
> channel to get it to import.. There is no support mixing and matching EIT
> sources, or really handling changing EIT such as I have seen and what is
> happening when you are mixnig Zap2It and EIT.. I have been meaning to get this
> fixed so that myth will go searching for EIT when its not being used for livetv
> or recording..  Hopefully before .18 I will get it all written and into CVS.. I
> need to get data importing in a few other countries first before I add to some
> already complex code..

Did you get time to do what you intended since? 0.18 is coming out
pretty fast! :)

As for crawling, it would be a good idea but I guess we'd need to
specify which multiplex contains the EIT. Concerning that; I could not
find where the starting channel is stored. You know, when the backend
starts, it tunes to a "default channel" in order to check it's
hardware or else... Since I've started playing around with the EIT, my
default channel was not on the multiplex containing the EIT. I
recently changed that using mythtv-setup and now when I start the
backend, the EIT will be requested without a manual recording.

Pretty neat, even tho I don't fully understand how it actually happens. :)

Thanks!
cyth