[mythtv-users] cablecard

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Apr 6 23:21:15 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 05:04:10PM -0400, dean collins wrote:
> I don't think it will be that restrictive to get access to the video
> stream, lets face it they are going to allow tv set manufacturers get
> access to it etc.
> http://www.cablelabs.com/news/pr/2005/05_pr_ocap_010605.html
>
> The 2.0 specification is listed here
> http://www.opencable.com/downloads/specs/OC-SP-CCIF2.0-IF-I01-050331.pdf

I would be curious what you have heard?   Everything I have heard indicates
that you don't get a licence to work with cablecard unless you promise to
be a good boy and not let the video out.    Similar to DVD CCA, stronger even.

If you can see a way that they would grant a licence to MythTV or any other
open source project, that would be fabulous.   Of course TV set manufacturers
and locked PVR vendors will get cablecard access -- that's the whole point
of the cablecard mandate.

The problem is that they are taking cablecard beyond what it was intended
for -- isolating the decryption hardware in a small unit.   There are two
purposes for the encryption.   One is to assure you can'tt watch HBO unless
you pay for it.   However, the secondary one is to assure you don't do
anything not-approved with your HBO even when you have paid for it.

Not approved means, in particular, allowing the unencrypted video stream out
where it can be copied.  For example writing it to a hard disk.   Pretty hard
for Mythtv to get a licence agreeing not to do that.