[mythtv-users] Re: Playback CPU Usage, SDTV, HDTV, Is this right?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Apr 7 08:35:19 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 21:40, John Freer wrote:
> Thanks for the responses.
>
> My biggest question is whether or not it is normal for the X process
> to be taking 30% processor time and mythfrontend 55% processor time
> when performing 720p playback.
>
> I viewed with interest Jarod's posts over the past week or two and it
> seems that he's getting solid HDTV (1080i) playback on an XP2600
> without XvMC.
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/122884?search_string=HDT
>V%20Playback;#122884
>
> I'm wondering if I have X, myth, or somthing misconfigured.  If Jarod
> is right on (usually is), I should be able to playback 720p without
> any trouble on an XP2200, no XvMC.

I would think so, given that I could handle 720p w/just an 1800. Here's some
further data to follow up from that thread (will post in that thread too).

System:
Athlon XP 2600, AGP GeForce 4 MX, nVidia 1.0-7174 driver

1080i content, kernel deint filter:
cpu 90% utilized (70% mythfrontend, 20% X)

720p content:
cpu 65% utilized (50% mythfrontend, 15% X)

> When frontend opens, I see a line like "Using XV on port 108" or
> somthing, so I'm assuming that xv is being used.  What else do I
> check?

Check out the link I posted that shows my nvidia-settings-rc, all my myth
settings (database settings table dump, so not exactly straight-forward to
decipher, sorry), and my xorg.conf (just added). Maybe some key setting in
there differs from your setup.

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/remotefe-settings.txt

--
Jarod Wilson