[mythtv-users] www.d1.com.au

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Apr 7 13:34:35 UTC 2005

>>> dean at collins.net.pr 04/07/05 9:21 AM >>>
> Paul,
> I paid bounties for individual asterisk developments that
> I saw value in funding.

Ok, that makes sense.  Did you get your name tagged into
the source somehow?

> I've heard of GPL and 'think' I understand how it works
> but with Asterisk there is a corporate body policing the
> policy (Digium).

You're "heard of GPL", yet you put your money into something
that used it?  You must be awfully trusting or have a lawyer
dealing with that kind of stuff for you.

> I guess what I'm asking is how 'organized' MythTV actually
> is and where do you feel your future is heading as far as
> the wider general public using the application once it is
> stable enough for the non geek users.

I'd be willing to bet that this has nothing to do with it.  MYth
is a little project that has sort of grown.  I don't care if it
gets any easier to install.  I kind of like that it is kind of
involved to get it up and running.  If it never goes beyond
project status, that's great.  It's stable enough for non
geek users.  It's just not easy to install, which is fine with me.

> This 'argument' (discourse?) was an ongoing event at
> Asterisk until Coalescent developed (and subsequently
> released under GPL back into the community) their
> AMP gui configurator.

That's the big difference.  There's no Digium, just Isaac.
I'd be willing to bet he's been offered tons for his project.
I applaud his ethics and ability to keep this software free
and open source.  I like lookin through the code just to
get ideas about how things work and apply them to stuff
I do during the day.

> Just as importantly the Asterisk at home sourceforge
> project packaged AMP along with 4 other applications
> into a single 'set and forget' iso that made Asterisk
> about as simple (and accessible to the non geek
> community) as it is ever going to get.

If that's your goal, look at PlutoHome.  Surely you've
heard of that - since I'm pretty sure it incorporates
Asterisk...

> I hope that clarifies my interests.

Sort of..

> Cheers,