[mythtv-users] cablecard

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Apr 7 20:17:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 01:17:03PM -0600, Robert Johnston wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2005 1:13 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > As others have said, it is not just the money that is an issue.  They
> > have no desire to issue a license to open source projects as this
> > would compromise the very encryption (whether it would or not is
> > debatable, but they certainly would believe it would).
> >
> > Even if $100,000 were a drop in the bucket (and I wish I was in that
> > position), that is not the major stumbling block.  They WILL NOT issue
> > a license to myth type projects.
>
> Care to define a "Myth-Type Product"?

Yes, let's please clarify what we're discussing.

What *I* am discussing, and want to see either Hauppauge or Plextor
build, is a tuner card similar to the ones we see now, but which can
tune QAM digital cable, and using a CableCard plugged into it, decrpyt
the incoming video, and pass it on digitally to the PC, the way the
AirPC cards and the like do.

It wouldn't by any means be a "MythTV" product, or an open source
product, or anything else.  It would merely be a product which *we*
*could* make use of, without having to be Microsoft, and sell
closed-source software which would enforce all kinds of
fair-use-denying garbage we're not interested in.

But make no mistake: it would be a normal commercial product, just like
current-day tuners are: it would will pretty much exactly the same role.

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me