[mythtv-users] SBLive + ALSA + AC3 question

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Fri Apr 8 00:33:01 UTC 2005

for those of you using a Creative SB Live! (mine's a "SB Live! 1024
Value"), who is successfully using AC3 passthrough with ALSA and the
emu10k1 module?  What version of ALSA/kernel are you running?

The reason I ask, is I've had problems with AC3 when using ALSA versions
 > 1.0.5 ... I either get no sound (rare) or really nasty, horrible,
annoying garbage sound when I've tried ALSA 1.0.6 and 1.0.7 .. I haven't
yet tried 1.0.8 (i don't think), since the last two versions didn't fix
anything and i know 1.0.5 works perfectly ... however, if I move over to
another system running kernel 2.6, i'll have to upgrade, since i'd
rather stick to the same version as what comes in the kernel than do
other weird things ... looking at possibly using gentoo (for
optimization and FreeBSD-like-ness), but trashing my current HTPC setup
and going with a whole different distro does not sound like a lot of
fun, especially with how long it took me to get to where i'm at now (at
least this time i won't have to spend hours and hours reading about
1080i/540p timings and figuring out how to get the HDTV timings working
w/ my HTPC!!)

thx,
-g-