[mythtv-users] Which Distro?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Apr 8 01:57:24 UTC 2005

On Thursday 07 April 2005 17:55, gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:
> Howard Cokl wrote:
> > I'm a slack guy, have been since about 1998.
>
> yup, i have been since ... well, i'm not sure which version i started
> with ... either slackware 6 or 7 ...

RH since 4.2 for me, have used just about everything else under the sun, but
always come back to RH. For one, I've got over a hundred RH boxes at work to
deal with, so I won't be changing distros anytime soon. ;-)

> > But, and it hurts me
> > to say this, I did install FC3 according to Jarod's
> > guide and it did work and the performance was better.
>
> wow, that really surprises me ... esp with both on a 2.6 kernel ...

I'm also slightly surprised. I'd expect more or less equivalent performance.

Now for my own brief rant: folks claims that FC is somehow so much slower than
another distro are flawed. The difference is that FC starts with an
everything approach, so you have to trim, while others start with a nothing
approach, so you add only what you want. Most of my RH/FC installs start with
a minimal install, then add from there... I've run every major distro out
there, and nothing is faster than anything else by any significant margin
when tuned for the same job. Anywho... :-)

> > Don't know why but I plan on finding out since I don't
> > like rpm based systems and dependency checking, <rant>
> > sorry you can't rpm -e sendmail because it is depended
> > on by a bunch of other crap that we decided to install
> > for you ... </rant>.
>
> hehehe ... exactly!!

hehehe... Not exactly!! ;-)

I don't have a single RH box (work or home) with sendmail installed, no use of
--force or --nodeps anywhere and no broken deps.

> > Anyway there is some guy
> > maintaining a slackware mythtv package, haven't tried
> > it, but here it is http://www.linuxpackages.net/pkg_details.php?id=6144
>
> all the versions of myth i've installed (i think i started 2 or 3
> releases ago) have been by hand and i definitely prefer it ... call it
> the over-anal-ness of a network admin :P

I build my own rpms, same difference. :-)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...