[mythtv-users] Which Distro?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Apr 8 02:08:03 UTC 2005

On Thursday 07 April 2005 17:51, gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:
> Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > RPM is your friend if you learn it well (and use apt/yum)...
>
> i did package management for a (very small userbase) distro for a while
> and after that, i found RPM to be my sworn enemy :p

I do package management for a large deployment of servers at work, as well as
help with maintaining packages on atrpms.net. I love RPM. :-)

> my bigger issues w/ most rpm-based ones is that i'm not a huge fan of RH
> and thus that carries to the other RPM-based distros ... that and it
> pains me to have 500 packages installed on one machine that uses less
> than half, but i can't uninstall, because of dependency hell (the reason
> i'll use FreeBSD over RH *ANY* day for server use)

Dependency hell is not an issue with apt/yum/smart package managers.

> so is there any performance gain / other reason to separate out frontend
> and backend?

Performance, noise and heat are the main reasons. Put your backend with lots
of drives somewhere it can be hot and loud, and do commercial-cutting without
impacting playback performance on the frontend (really only an issue if your
frontend has a cpu just barely able to keep up).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...