[mythtv-users] Which Distro?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Apr 8 07:54:41 UTC 2005

On Thursday 07 April 2005 20:15, gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:
> Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > Dependency hell is not an issue with apt/yum/smart package managers.
>
> hmm, i've found it to be worse when using apt/yum ... especially when i
> used apt-rpm on FC1 ...

A large part of that depends on what repositories you're using. Some of them
don't mix and match very well. I have no problems whatsoever with
dependencies.

> >>so is there any performance gain / other reason to separate out frontend
> >>and backend?
> >
> > Performance, noise and heat are the main reasons. Put your backend with
> > lots of drives somewhere it can be hot and loud, and do
> > commercial-cutting without impacting playback performance on the frontend
> > (really only an issue if your frontend has a cpu just barely able to keep
> > up).
>
> ahh ... didn't think of the noise issue ... really need to get a bigger
> case for my file server (it's a Dell Optimon case w/ room for only 2
> drives), then maybe i can move them over ... how much "beef" does a
> backend need to be decent?  right now, my front and back-end machine is
> a P4 1.6GHz with 768MB RAM (don't recall offhand FSB speeds or anything
> ... it was a Dell Dimension 4400, but the mobo's been upgraded quite a
> bit since then) ...

I ran my dedicated backend on a dual PIII-600 box for a while. It even did
HDTV recording and commercial-cutting, no problem. (I've since upgraded it
w/my old workstation that got replaced by my new Athlon 64 box).

> i think once i redo my HTPC box (i'm leaning towards gentoo), i'll set
> it up this way, depending on feedback as far as what a specs backend
> should need ... (admittedly, i haven't read on the website if there's
> info on this, so don't flame me for not doing that yet ... i'm going to
> as soon as i put my son to bed :P)

There's a fair amount of data out there, both in the official docs and the
list archive. I have some example systems on my web site also.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...