[mythtv-users] Marriage of Email List and Forum, Can't we all just get along!!

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Fri Apr 8 18:28:53 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 02:05:26PM -0400, Jeff Simpson wrote:
> > To cut to the chase:
> do I dare ask?
>
> does it somehow relate to the fact that with a mailinglist, the owner
> has complete totalitarian control over who can and can't be a member
> but with a newsgroup it's generally an anyone-can-post type of setup?
> (although I'm pretty sure you can have locked news servers iirc)

That's not how GMane works.  Gmane posts are always forwarded to the
mailing list first.  Nothing shows up on gmane that hasn't gone through
the mailing list.  They also use TMDA to prevent spam, and I host a
number of lists on complete.org that gmane uses, and have never once had
a spam problem with them.  I don't know of anyone else that has either.