[mythtv-users] Marriage of Email List and Forum, Can't we all just get along!!

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Apr 8 19:56:59 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 02:05:26PM -0400, Jeff Simpson wrote:
> > To cut to the chase:
> >
> > Issac had a bad experience with read/write forums. That was with
> > gmane.org, which is really the correct way to do what you want. Perhaps
> > he'll wake up someday and the trauma will have faded, and he'll think
> > "hmm, maybe I'll try to love NNTP <-> mail gateways again".
>
> do I dare ask?
>
> does it somehow relate to the fact that with a mailinglist, the owner
> has complete totalitarian control over who can and can't be a member
> but with a newsgroup it's generally an anyone-can-post type of setup?
> (although I'm pretty sure you can have locked news servers iirc)

Oh, for the love of Christ.

No, it doesn't.  It's just that *web fora SUCK*.

Literally *hundreds* of tools exist to manage traffic flow for mailing lists
and Usenet groups (which is what we *really* should be doing, if you need an
opinion :-); web forums are all different, and completely unmanageable for
off line use.

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me