[mythtv-users] Suggestions

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Fri Apr 8 21:15:55 UTC 2005

> > >     > Did I read this right?  Are you saying that if I touch the missing
> > >     > file, thus creating a zero length file, that mythbackend will
> > >     > clean it up for me and I don't have to go into the UI to delete it?  If
> > >     > that's true, then that's fantastic!
> > >     >
> > >     Almost.  If you create a zero length file, you can go into the UI and
> > >     delete it.  There is no automatic cleanup in this case.
> > >
> > >     Kevin
> > >
> > Then I don't see the difference between 0.17 and 0.18.  You can do this
> > now with 0.17.
>
> For version 0.18, you won't need to do the 'touch' on the file to
> create a blank version.  The Delete Programs GUI will allow you to
> 'delete' non-exitant files and clean up the database.

BZZZZZZ, try again.... :)

The patch that was put into CVS post-0.17 was meant to fix exactly one thing,
and that is when the recording failed and the original file was never created
(hence the filesize in the database is 0).  The patch allows Myth to delete
the recording info from the database if the filesize in the DB is 0 and the
file does not exist.  If the filesize in the DB is non-zero, then the file
must exist in order for Myth to allow deleting the recording from the database.
It's called referential integrity and is working as expected.  If you are
losing/missing files, that is beyond Myth's control and you have to touch the
file to delete the recording.  If Myth had a problem recording, the filesize
in the DB is zero and Myth will happily let you delete the recording even
though the file doesn't exist.

--
Chris