[mythtv-users] Capture to DV or "uncompressed" AVI instead of MPEG-PS?

Ian Trider iantri at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 14:06:05 UTC 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 10:43 PM, Gregg Casillo <gcasillo at insightbb.com> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who responded. If anyone can recommend a good bttv or cx88
> capture card for recording to different formats from MPEG, please e-mail me.

For the benefit of others, I'll post here:

Essentially, while build quality is a small factor, you'll find that
the chipset design is mainly responsible for the quality of a card.
This means that all bt8x8's are uniformly mediocre -- the cx88's are
better.

The point is; buy the cheapest "WATCH TV ON YOUR PC!!!!1" card you can
find at a store with a good return policy -- chances are it is
probably a bt8x8.

Only thing to watch for is that the cheap ones only have mono tuners
-- if you are recording off of analog cable directly through the tuner
you'll want one with stereo.  It makes no difference for composite-in,
because audio goes through the soundcard.

--
Ian Trider
iantri at gmail.com