[mythtv-users] Possible OT: Newest nvidia drivers and interlaced modes

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Mon Apr 11 01:40:16 UTC 2005

 > Do you mean one desktop split over two separate displays? Not that I
can help, as I only have one display at a time.

> No.  I have a 1920x1080i timing mode from Jarrod that I was using with
> so-so results before the upgrade.  Now, I still have a 1080i mode, but
> what is supposed to be on the left of the screen is on the right, and
> vice versa.  I'll try to illustrate in text:
>
> What I should see:
>
> ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
> ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
> ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
> ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
> ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
> ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
>
> What I do see:
>
> NOPQRSTUVWXYZ_ABCDEFGHIJKLM
> NOPQRSTUVWXYZ_ABCDEFGHIJKLM
> NOPQRSTUVWXYZ_ABCDEFGHIJKLM
> NOPQRSTUVWXYZ_ABCDEFGHIJKLM
> NOPQRSTUVWXYZ_ABCDEFGHIJKLM
> NOPQRSTUVWXYZ_ABCDEFGHIJKLM
>
> The _'s indicate a vertical white bar.  Actually, I am probably
> missing about the N and M portions as well from overscan.  My set can
> adjust it, but it really warps the screen adjusting too much out this
> way.
>
> This is the modeline:
>
> ModeLine     "1760x960"  74.5 1760 1888 2096 2208 960 1012 1028 1126
> -hsync -vsync interlace
>
> It is fed through an AudioAuthority transcoder to the component inputs
> on my Samsung widescreen.
>
> Hope that explains the problem better.
>
> Jeff.

Some further info:

I reinstalled from scratch today, wiping everything but my /video
partition.  Followed Jarod's guide all the way up to the 7174 nvidia
drivers, with just a monitor attached, no transcoder or TV, and using
Jarod's xorg.conf unaltered.  The same thing happens with the monitor.
Furthermore, the other two modes in that modeline result in a virtual
desktop.  This did not happen with the 6629 drivers.  I'm at a loss, and
have no easy way to get back to a working setup until I figure out the
problem.

Digging around on Google, I can't find any references to anyone else
with this problem.  I'll have to dig further, it seems.

Jeff.