[mythtv-users] MythTV on XBox (probably a bit OT)

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 13:18:16 UTC 2005

> I agree, this seems like connection problem to mythtv files.
>
> Do you have samba properly set up in your linux machine and you can access
> it with another computer ?
>
> Did you confgure the samba settigns to xbmcmythtv options ? If I remember
> correctly, the syntax shoud be smb://username:password@server-ip/sharefolder

OK - some progress. I found that if I used the mythtv backend hostname
rather than IP address in the smb:// string then it failed. When I use
the IP address I get a little further. Why is that?

I can see the recorded programs and when I try to play one it says "Do
you want to automatically skip commercials", then when I say "No"
(don't want to upset the TV execs now, do we) it comes up with an
error message saying "Invalid computer name". So frustrating - I
thought I'd nailed it before that happened!

One further piece of info here is that there is an option to copy the
file to local disk on the Xbox, and that works fine. So it's finding
the file and has read access.

Could this therefore be some issue the mythtv protocol has with the
name of the Xbox, which is for some reason "The Bear" (was just like
that after I modded it)? I'm wondering whether it doesn't like the
space between the 2 words. I'm assuming it's the Xbox name it doesn't
like - is that a valid assumption?

Or any other ideas, anyone?

Regards,
Phill