[mythtv-users] multiple capture cards and sound?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Apr 11 14:04:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 09:58:52AM -0400, Larry K wrote:
>    I  had  been  thinking about getting another capture card (I have only
>    one  now).   Then,  it  occurred  to  me that I may have an issue with
>    sound.
>    I  am  running  a  Hauppauge  PVR-250 and I'm using my MoBo's on-board
>    sound.    If  I pick up another PVR-250, do I also have to buy a sound
>    card to pair with it?

FAQ!  FAQ!!  :-)

If your capture cards are Hardware-MPEG, like the Hauppauge, and I'm
*pretty* certain the AVer, Yuan, and the new Plextor external, then the
audio is being embedded in the capture stream, and you are *not* using
your onboard audio for recording, only for playback.

Adding extra cards, therefore, is no problem.

Snapstream has a demo box with 5 PVR-500's in it, that can record 10
shows simultaneously.

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me