[mythtv-users] newbie introduction

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Tue Apr 12 15:12:06 UTC 2005

>>> "Richard Legault" <rich.lega at gmail.com> 04/12/05 10:53 AM >>>
> I am the newest newbie here, I don't even have a box set up
> yet. Parts are on order for the lirc input and output, tuner card
> will be ordered this week or next. I do have a couple of things that

> I  have to ask...

Welcome aboard.  Say goodbye to your free time, as you'll
be spending most of it now playing with the coolest techie
toy around.

> My current VCR gets its program guide information from the TV
> signal itself (I have analog cable). Does MythTV have that
> capability or plans for it?

Are you using the VCR+ information?  Myth uses guide data
from Zapt2It (in the US).  You only need a pokey dial-up
connection to download the guide data at least once every
few days.  You can download it nightly as well.

> Do I really need to get a sound card if I don't have a sound
> system external to the TV set?

How do you suggest to get sound out of your machine?  I'm
almost positive your motherboard will have some kind of
sound out.  I don't have a special sound card for a couple
of myu machines - I just use the headphone out and use
one of those 1/8" jack to two RCA (stereo) type jacks and
plug those into my television input 1 sound input.

> I have a spare computer (1.5G Celeron w/ 128M) with an
> onboard soundcard. I am planning on getting a PVR-500
> and a GeForce video/TVOUT card.

That will make a fine backend.  It may get a little annoying
as a dual use (frontend/backend) machine, but it's more
than up to the task of recording (as all the encoding
is done on the PVR-500).  GeForce card is good, but you
should also check out the FX series - preferably fanless.

Paul