[mythtv-users] 6200 Firewire issues

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 15:30:10 UTC 2005

On Apr 12, 2005 11:16 AM, Chris Nelson <crnelson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I've been using MythTV for a while now with a pvr-250 and it's been
> exceedingly stable, however I've recently got a 6200 cable box from
> Adelphia so I figured I'd check out the firewire support.  Since I've
> started that I'm running into nothing but trouble.  I've tried 0.17
> and the latest cvs version.
>
> I can dump video from the box with no issues with test-mpeg2, and
> change channels with 6200ch so I'm sure the box is connected
> correctly. When I try to record a progrem with myth, or watch live TV
> I usually get a bit of video (anywhere from a few frames, to maximum 1
> minute) and then the recording will stop.  I see messages like the
> following in the backend log
>
> 2005-04-12 07:10:05.839 Firewire: No Input in 15 seconds [P:0 N:2] (select)
>
> After this happens the backend still thinks it's recording, but no
> more data is being captured.  When the program is supposed to end I
> get the standard Finished Recoding message in the log, but there's
> only that small inital bit of data in the file.
>
> Additionally if trying to watch Live TV changing channels usually
> fails and the frontend either locks up, or drops back to the main menu
> after ~ 30 seconds of a black screen
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Chris

Not that I can help, but I'm seeing some similar issues too.  I just
got a 6200 from comcast, and am able to record using test-mpeg2 and
change channels with 6200ch.  If I restart everything, re-run
mythtv-setup and change the start channel for the cablebox input to a
channel I know I can get with it, restart the backend and frontend,
and tune to the firewire input I can see live tv, and even record it
fine.  the trouble starts when I try to change the channel.  using the
up and down arrows is out of the question, I just go black and the
frontend locks up.  tuning with a channel number changes the channel
on the cable box, but the front end still locks up.  I'm trying to
figure out if I should be using the p2p or broadcast setting in
mythtv-setup.  plugreport shows my box at host 0 and node 2.  (note on
this system I couldn't even get it to work until I disabled the
onboard ieee1394 controller this is an amd64 ASUS AV8 board).