[mythtv-users] Cablecard Part 2

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 15:35:01 UTC 2005

I haven't read the full document yet (I'm chowing down
on my cereal getting ready for work), but this is a
major thorn in the side of OCAP:
"OCAP specifies a hardware platform with ~200 MIPS of
processing power available for running applications
once the requirements of the OCAP runtime engine are
met. This does not account for the performance of the
Java runtime that will usurp some of the processing
budget. The memory requirement calls for 32MB of
memory to be available after the runtime requirements
are met."

On a PC, these needs are easily met, but speaking from
the point of view of a company making these things, on
an embedded board, a CPU that fast and that much
memory are considered quite expensive.  And that's
just RAM, the ROM implications are larger (high
capacity flash chips are expensive).

On the PC side, Java has quite a history with Linux,
depending on the Linux distribution.

I can't speak for the developers here, but I highly
doubt that anybody is interested in implementing OCAP
in MythTV, especially if it adds Java to the list of
dependencies.

-- Joe

http://www.digeo.com/assets/datasheets/datasheet_ocap.pdf