[mythtv-users] Adding a Hauppauge WinTV PVR to an existing MythTV box...

Andrew Ziobro aziobro at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 19:11:13 UTC 2005

> So I've picked up another Hauppauge card from Ebay...
>
> It's a "Hauppauge WinTV PVR" (but not a 250 or 350) - however it seems to be
> BT878 based (hello BTTV) but also seems to have a MPEG2 encoder on-board.
> 0000:01:0b.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video
> Capt
> ure (rev 11)
>         Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 4500
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 23
>         Memory at f6afe000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
>         Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data
>         Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2
>
> 0000:01:0b.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio
> Capture (r
> ev 11)
>         Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 4500
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 23
>         Memory at f6aff000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
>         Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data
>         Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2
This is the first version. As far as I know you can use the card ONLY
as a standard BT878 type card.  I have one, and have been using it
that way. I am doing the encoding in SOFTWARE. You need the rom file
in the proper location when setting up the card or you will not get
any audio. Check the docs in kernel tree. Good Luck. If you ever find
a way to get the hardware encoder working in linux, PLEASE drop a
line.