[mythtv-users] Re: recording HD content

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Apr 13 04:45:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 04:07:22PM -0700, Ian Forde wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 15:30 -0500, Neil wrote:
> > > The locals won't end (though they might drop to SD on the firewire) but the
> > > non-locals could go away.
> >
> > Thanks for the tip Brad. I'm looking into firewire but on my other posts,
> > the guy told me that it may soon be encrypted too. :(
>
> First of all, the "though they might drop to SD on the firewire" is FUD.
> If it's the HD version of NBC, they're not allowed to transcode it down,
> according to the FCC.

I am not sure you use the same definition of FUD as I do (FUD is a vendor
activity) but in any event, are you saying that the 1394 mandate does
not include DTCP for the high def signals?

My understanding is that the long term plan is that while you can demand
a 1394 port on your set-top box, the cablecos can and will put in DTCP so
that the 1394 port will not send unencrypted streams to a non-DTCP compliant
computer, such as a MythTV box or Mac.   Except for what they are expected
to provide in the clear, namely the SD versions of local stations.

Do you know otherwise?