[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 150 or 250

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Wed Apr 13 16:05:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Allan Stirling wrote:

> Tomer Sivilya wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out what is the difference between the PVR-150
>> and PVR-250 (except about $25)...
>>
>> Do both of them supported by myth ? (the 250 I know is - what about the
>> 150 ?)
>>
>> Thanks for your help,
>> Tom.
>
> From a user point of view, there is not much difference between the cards.
> Both work in Myth.
>
> The driver support is much newer for the 150. This means there are still some
> problems being worked out with it. It's getting *much* better - But if you
> really don't bleed over $25, get the 250.

 	The -150 uses a different and newer video capture chip than the
-250/350 (cx88 vs. saa7115). I'm curious to see if there's any difference
in capture resolution in the -250 vs. the -150.  If anyone with a -150
would care to check it out, the resolution test pattern DVD image I made
awhile back is still up:

http://www.ee.vt.edu/~mythtv/TEST.tar.bz2

 	Cook it up to a DVD, play it in a settop player, and then use the
capture card to see how much resolution can be captured.  In particular,
the frame you want to look at is the one on the DVD that looks like:

http://www.ee.vt.edu/~mythtv/EIA1956/720x480.png

-Cory