[mythtv-users] gave up on the Epia

Michael Carland mcarland at bitsgonewild.net
Wed Apr 13 16:58:05 UTC 2005

On Apr 13, 2005, at 11:15 AM, James Stembridge wrote:

> On 4/13/05, Michael Carland <mcarland at bitsgonewild.net> wrote:
>> The issue was that I compile for epia with -march=c3, and the
>> offending
>> package built a utility for itself, and then failed running it since
>> the desktop
>> didn't have the c3 magic.
>
> Does using -march-c3 make any noticable performance difference?

Dunno, I've never done it any other way. I just figured since I was
compiling from source anyways, I would set the appropriate arch.

> I just use standard debian packages (which afaik will work on an
> i386), even my kernel is just a standard i686 version.

I started with Debian sarge. Trying to work through my tv out problems,
I switched to a self compiled Xorg, and not being a deb wizard, I then
had to compile everything that depended on X. I'm sure if I took the
time, I could have found a deb for Xorg 6.8.2, and learned how to use
deb sources so I could do the unichrome patches. Or even just found
unichrome debs. But even though it has been frustrating, sometimes I
like to build the stuff myself so I know more about how it works.

>> Regarding giving up on epia, I don't have any of the DMA problems, or
>> even FF/REW problems (although the machine is diskless, so I suppose
>> there are fewer DMA contentions),
>
> I have a disk and haven't see any issues. How might they manifest
> themselves?
>
> The only stability problem I've had was lockups caused by the longhaul
> cpufreq module, since I've stopped using that it seems pretty solid.

I never installed longhaul, and I've never had DMA issues. I'm just
referring to the constant stream of via dma complaints, system lockups
I believe. I imagine you could be right, that longhaul has a large part
in it. Also, I know the ivtv people recently discovered they had been
letting a bad default value exist for dma timeouts, and this somehow
affected via more than other chipsets (via chipsets had a different
default dma timeout value?).

But, since I don't seem to have any dma issues, I'm just worrying about
the problems I do have. I'm thinking .18 will fix my XvMC VLD, and then
I need to find a job, so I can pay someone to come and tune up my TV!

-Michael