[mythtv-users] Re: Need advice with 'Pixelization"

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 02:59:24 UTC 2005

I see the same pixelization, and I'm capturing at
720x480, with a bitrate between 5000 and 6500.

I'm inclined to believe that it's the MPEG-2 generated
by the PVR-250 that is the cause, but my knowledge of
MPEG-2 isn't enough for me to even begin to offer an
explanation.

The only thing that I can think of is that there's so
much movement (or change) in the scene, that the delta
frame (I forget what letter it is called, but it's
definitely not the I-frame) ends up with the
blockiness.

In my case though, the cable TV coax coming into my
apartment is pretty crappy (there's ingress according
to the Comcast tech, but it's my landlord responsible
for the line, not Comcast, so I have to live with it).
 I haven't brought the RF analyzer home from work yet,
but I know that my signal is around 30dBmV, which is
on the crap side.  I get some artifacts in MythTV, and
occasionally, if I watch something on the TV (not in
Myth), I end up with a "staticy" (is that even a
word?) picture, or wavy lines in it.  I also get the
odd dropped frame.  I attribute the blockiness to
these factors (in my case, anyway).

-- Joe