[mythtv-users] pvr-350 recording at 720x480 question

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Apr 14 18:30:39 UTC 2005

Larry Symms wrote:
> Could someone suggest to me the proper way to configure X, ivtv, myth
> recording profiles, etc to enable recording at 720x480?  I've attempted
> to do this and I'm getting some erratic behavior so I'd like to hear
> suggestions before I go into too much depth about my issues.

Due to the limitations of broadcast television and TV sets, the
relative analog resolution is usually in the 300-500 dots per line.
Other than placebo effect, even in the best of conditions you
probably won't see any difference beyond 560x480 and on a standard
27" tv tube with analog cable, anything too much over 400x480 may
be overkill.

Maxing out the res may just be making bigger files for no benefit.
Moving around and decoding more data may do more to cause other
problems than make the picture better. A lower res with a higher
relative bitrate would do more the decrease compression artifact
and will normally give you a better picture for the same file size.

That said, the recording resolution is set in Setup->TV Settings->
Recording Profiles. More info on resolution:

--  bjm