[mythtv-users] Best place to load dvb_bt8xx from?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 08:31:33 UTC 2005

On 4/14/05, John Freer <john_freer at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey all:
>
> I'm looking for the best way to trigger the load of the DVB driver
> for my HD2000 card.
>
> I'm assuming I want the module loaded before mythbackend starts?
>
> Where's the elegant way to trigger the module load?  I'd like to
> think there's a better way to do it than with rc.local.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> John.

Depends on your distro, but I have found a combo of hotplug and
coldplug to do a great job loading my modules for my hardware, that
combined with a well written modules.conf and I'm a happy hardware
user :)

My distro is Gentoo.  I believe actually quite a few distros now do it
this way.  There is a directory containing the options for your
modules in files named according to the module they are loading.  For
example, I load an saa7134 module, and in my /etc/modules.d directory
I have a file called saa7134 with all the module options I need to
pass to that module, such as tuner=x, etc.

Not that using rc.local is wrong or does something it shouldn't
though, and if it works, don't 'fix' it :D

Cool