[mythtv-users] Help running FX5200 + DVI to 1280x720 projector

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Fri Apr 15 21:06:37 UTC 2005

Steve Christall wrote:
 > Currently I have a combo backend / front end running myth, and currently
 > outputting at 800x600 over analogue VGA (TNT2!) to my 1280x720 DVI
 > capable projector.  This works pretty well
 >
 > I want to switch to DVI, and run my projector at its native resolution.
 >  My box only has PCI slots, and I have found a PCI FX5200 with DVI-I
 > interface.
 >
 > 1 / Is this possible.  ie is there a modeline to run the FX5200 at
 > 1280x720 over DVI?  Do you still use modelines for DVI output, I guess
 > there isn't a refresh rate?  If so could I please have it :o)

It is; you just need to use one of the modeline calculators that are available.
  I use an FX5200 to drive an LCD at 1280x768.  I had another LCD before that
for a few days that allegedly was 1280x720, but I took it back because there
was no  apparent way to coax it into actually running at its native resolution.
  I still have the modeline for it; you might try it as a starting point:

Modeline "1280x720 at 60" 73.78 1280 1350 1390 1650 720 725 730 750

 > 2 / Would #1 above be called progressive scan?

Yes.

 > 3 / How would the deinterlacing work (I capture from a DVB card and
 > PVR350).  Do I need to deinterlace?!  I think at the moment my projector
 > is doing this?

You would use MythTV's deinterlacing options (which unfortunately don't include
  inverse 3:2 pulldown for the many shows that would benefit from it, but
they'll still clean up a fair bit of interlace noise).

   _/_
  / v \ Scott Alfter