[mythtv-users] Successful Pundit FE/BE Install 0.17

Timothy G. Schaefer tim_lists at comcast.net
Sun Apr 17 13:42:13 UTC 2005

After messing with it off and on for a few days (damn work gets in the way
of all of my fun!) I finally got my system working enough to put it down by
the TV and start the wife training lessons (although we had to argue about
the benefits of watching time shifted TV "But I want to see the new Gilmore
Girls as soon as possible", hrmph!).

To dilute all of the "XXX not working. HELP!" messages I thought I would
give a success story ;o) but mostly I wanted to give some props to those
that helped and to document any special hoops I had to go through, so the
next person installing MythTV 0.17 following Jarod's guide on the following
system will have something to refer to (probability approaching zero...):

Pundit - Fairly quiet with Q-fan on I can still here it when it's quiet in
the living room, may get some new quiet fans, the bright blue LEDs may have
to go, especially the HD activity one, overall I like it, may buy another
for a dedicated FE.
2.0 GHz celeron, looked like the lowest power consumption
512MB Ram
Hauppauge PVR-250
Western Digital 250GB
DVD-ROM drive
Overall cost $530.12 - ability to watch what I want when I want - Priceless

I seriously owe a beer(s) to Isaac, Jarod, and Axel. The posters to the
2000 or so mailing list emails that I searched for that also helped just
get a big thanks. Came close to having to post asking for help, but
eventually googled and gossamer-thread searched my way to completion.

Below are my personal install notes, jazzed up for clarity and
searchablilty. I followed Jarod's guide and typically commented when I had
to do  things differently for various reasons. My largest problem turned
out to be a driver load issue after two FC3 installs, I realized that ivtv
must not have been getting loaded before mythbackend causing all sorts of
havoc. Utter frustration kept me from copying down much of the logs of
mythfrontend during this troubleshooting, typically just took them straight
to the search engines.

Some nagging issues remain. Notably "Mutex destroy failure: Device or
resource busy" occasionally keeps popping up on the command line, no idea
what that is. Got dumped to the desktop once or twice coming out of
watching a recording, Jarod's power button tweak makes that almost a
non-issue.  While watching recordings a green bar pops up on the screen for
like one frame and sometimes the whole screen kind of flashes, I think I
saw others talk of this in my many searches. Also the TV image could be
shifted to the left a little, since I have a black bar on that side, I
think I saw a setting buried in Myth for X axis offset, either that or do
with video driver somehow. Some improvements I would like to do are, get it
working with the cable box to get the upper channels, stream recordings to
XP machines through MythWeb or some other suitably easy (for wife) method,
jazz up the boot process with some MythTV themed boot splash, KDE splash,
and wallpaper. Setting up a LCD/VFD would be cool and having an LED on the
front to show that it is recording would be neat (I guess the flashing HD
activity light is fairly indicative, but I would like to get rid of that in
favor of a dimmer red LED that stays on solid when recording).

Thanks all!!!!! If anyone wants to email me offlist or try a Skype call to
talk MythTV install, use, whatever, let me know, more than willing and
happy to talk about my new toy and to help others!

-Tim

-BIOS changes: bumped up VGA shared memory size to 64MB according to Matt
Marsh's Pundit install guide. turned on Q-fan, the thing was a roaring
beast before that.

-started install per Jarod Wilson guide

-saved apt cache of archives copied to same location to save download (from
aborted first install, went horribly awry trying to troubleshoot, which
ended up being a driver install order discovered later for the second
successful installation.)

-got to point of running first apt-get dist-upgrade got following error as
RPMs were being installed, not sure if okay or not

   78:sgml-common            warning: /etc/sgml/catalog saved as
/etc/sgml/catalog.rpmorig
########################################### [ 36%]
   79:openjade               ########################################### [ 37%]
   80:docbook-style-dsssl    ########################################### [ 37%]
   81:libxml2-python         ########################################### [ 38%]
   82:libxml2                ########################################### [ 38%]
   83:xml-common             warning: /etc/xml/catalog saved as
/etc/xml/catalog.rpmsave
########################################### [ 39%]
warning: /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xmlcatalog saved as
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/xmlcatalog.rpmsave
   84:docbook-dtds           ########################################### [ 39%]
Failed to remove entry from /etc/sgml/catalog
Failed to remove entry from /etc/sgml/catalog
Failed to remove entry from /etc/sgml/catalog
Failed to remove entry from /etc/sgml/catalog
Failed to remove entry from /etc/sgml/catalog
Failed to remove entry from /etc/sgml/catalog
Failed to remove entry from /etc/sgml/catalog
Failed to remove entry from /etc/sgml/catalog
Failed to remove entry from /etc/sgml/catalog
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.71607: line 59: [: : integer expression expected

-went with listed kernel 2.6.10-1.770 (2.6.11 available) since that was
what Jarod's guide had (thought that maybe my problems on first install
where kernel/module related)

-HOWTO installs x.org sis driver for 6.8.1, I have 6.8.2 of X.org (checked
with X -version), I installed 6.8.2 driver

-backed up Xorg.conf as ORIG

-Made Jarod's changes to xorg.conf (not linked text file) except commented
out SVIDEO line and uncommented TV since I will be using composite, I need
a better TV...

-audio seems to be working. skipped audio changes (ran kmix to enable
master and PCM channels and adjusted volumes)

-Got to ivtv install and backed up modprobe.conf as ORIG before changes

-Did not do UPDATE section of remote section

-occasionally "Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy" and "**
ERROR **: file gam_tree.c: line 146 (gam_tree_remove): assertion failed:
(g_node_n_children(node->node) == 0)
aborting..." keep showing up in root shell. I hit enter to get prompt back
and continue.

-After install everything works, can watch TV, watch recordings. Awesome!
Then I reboot. Load up mythfrontend, remote isn't working, watch Live TV
and it stays blank. Jump to shell "ll /dev/video?" turns up nothing. Driver
didn't load???, so I started them up, noticed remote didn't start up,
started it, loaded mythfrontend. Now remote works, but Live TV shows 1
second of TV, freezes for about 30s then dumps me back to mythTV home
screen (unfortunately I didn't save much of the messages dumped by
mythfrontend, I was getting frustrated at this point).

-in attempt to get working changed mythfrontend to run as root. May want to
revert since this was not the problem. How????

-working! After setting mythbackend and lircd to not load during startup,
rebooting, and manually loading things in the proper order things worked.
need to make sure ivtv and lirc drivers get loaded early enough

-Live TV and recordings have green/white/black lines popping up all over
screen on the output to the TV. Found out due to 1024x768 on monitor.
Dropped monitor to 800x600, all is good.

-Since prior problem was not a kernel issue installed latest kernel
"2.6.11-1.14_FC3" updated lirc and ivtv modules to match

-applying Jarod patch to get ivtv and lirc drivers loaded earlier (found in
UPDATE: section of remote, should have followed this the first time).
Backed up /etc/udev/rules.d/lirc.rules and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit as ORIG as
part of this

-Live TV and playback are pausing, with mythfrontend logging "Prebuffering
Pause". Search reveals possibly sound card issue, turn off aRTS. Pause is
gone! (I think this was all I did to get the pausing stopped, I was nearing
completion and getting excited so notes fell to the wayside.)

-to keep screen blanking from kicking in following Jarod recommendation
backed rc.local as ORIG first

-Following DVD guide setup, /dev/DVD was already setup linked to /dev/hdb,
no changes needed.

-mv /home/mythtv/.kde/Autostart/Autorun.desktop to backup as ORIG instead
of delete per Jarod DVD guide

-added addition to rc.local for mtd (no backup prior, see rc.local.ORIG)

-TV still blanking while system sits idle, removed line from rc.local that
refers to
dpms per Jarod's guide