[mythtv-users] ntp failing and kernel 2.6.10-1.770_14.rhfc3.at

Allan Risk arisk at hamster.foxhollow.ca
Sun Apr 17 15:32:13 UTC 2005

Has anyone had problems with ntp and kernel 2.6.10-1.770_14.rhfc3.at ?

I found ntpd was failing and discovered that if  I removed the "-u ntp:ntp" in /etc/sysconfig/ntpd it worked or ran it from a command line as root.

It seems a lot like bugzilla #154759 and I also wonder if it is related to the post on this list,
FC3, atrpms, jarod's guide = capset failed  dated Mar.14.

>From things I read I get the impression the kernel needs to be compiled with "--enable-linuxcaps".
I wonder if it wasn't.

I had a previous setup working with 2.6.10-1.770_FC3, but decided to use different hardware and am starting over.
Apparently the most recent kernel changed since my first setup and apt-get updated it.

My knowledge in this are is very limited.  These are just some clues I found.
Any comments/opinions?