[mythtv-users] VNC launches second mythfrontend

Garry Cook garrycook at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 16:16:59 UTC 2005

On 4/19/05, Allan Risk <arisk at hamster.foxhollow.ca> wrote:
> I've found that if I run vncserver that a second mythfrontend is running as
> shown by 'ps -A'.
> This second mythfrontend can be independently closed from the vnc client and
> the one on the console remains.
> The vnc session that appears on the remote client is otherwise different
> than the console session.
>
> Here's my theory.  If anyone has suggestions on how to avoid this it would
> be most welcome.
>
> I use Jarod's ~/.kde/Autostart/myth-load.sh, which among other things starts
> mythfrontend.
> Since vnc starts a new KDE session, I think this gets run again for the vnc
> session and therefore mythfrontend starts a second time.
>
> I would think this would be common as I suspect many people use both Jarod's
> script and vnc.
>
> --
> Al

I've posted about this in the past. It was driving me nutz, trying to
figure out why the power button script started an extra Mythfrontend.

Have you tested the powerbutton script with the VNC server shutdown?
Does it only start one instance of Mythfrontend? I'll test this in the
very near future. If it is the culprit, I'll disable my VNC Server. I
find that I only used it a lot in the first two weeks of setup, I
don't believe that I've used it since.

Thanks!

-- Garry