[mythtv-users] Request info from working M10K frontend.

Michael Carland mcarland at bitsgonewild.net
Tue Apr 19 21:50:20 UTC 2005

Howdy.

** Background

I've posted a few times about stuttering video on my M10K setup using
XvMC. Since I didn't have the problem without XvMC, just video tearing,
I assumed XvMC was the culprit, and have been spending evenings trying
different versions of DRM/XvMC/VIA.

Well, today I went nuts (that's what this has been driving me to) and
tried a few different tacks.

First off, this is an EPIA M10K diskless frontend running .18.

First, in case my hub had issues, I put the frontend and backend on a
different 5 port hub. Made no difference.

Second, I noticed that video and ethernet used the same interrupt. I
used setpci to change the video one, and it would show that it was
changed, but when I started X, it attached to the same old interrupt.
No go there.

Third, I thought maybe being diskless was causing problems. I took an
old laptop drive, copied the otherwise working root image onto it,
tweaked /etc/fstab and the root boot option, and fired it up. Booting
from disk worked fine, but playing video still had stuttering.

Next, I copied *one* nuv file from the backend to the drive in the
frontend, stopped the front end, moved some directories around so myth
would think that file was from the backend, and started it up. Worked
*flawlessly*. Well, there was one pause immediately when starting up,
and two in the last 8 seconds. I'm not at all worried about that.

So I guess I can stop messing with video drivers.

** Questions

Could someone with a working M10K using built in video and ethernet,
with a separate backend, provide me with the following info?

What interrupts are your ethernet and video on? (cat /proc/interrupts)

            CPU0
  15:    1856705          XT-PIC  uhci_hcd, eth0, via at pci:0000:01:00.0

What kernel version are you using? (I'm at 2.6.10)

Are you using the "VIA Rhine" ethernet driver? The "Use MMIO instead of
PIO" option? (I'm going to try turning off MMIO now)

Any other suggestions?

Thank,

-Michael